Preventing Black Mold can be easy. Here are 6 things you can do
Whether you have concerns in your home or business or not chances are if you have had water damage from weather or leaking pipes and appliances you should probably do a personal or professional inspection to determine if you could have a mold issue.
The US insurance industry spends tens of billions of dollars per year on water damage restoration just from leaking pipes and appliances. That cost is predominantly the structural damage which they cause. Most of those claims average approximately $10,000 meaning he vast majority of water damage issues go unreported to the insurance industry for a variety of reasons. Often it is simply because the leak and resulting damage were small enough for the homeowner to handle on their own. It is these small and unclaimed leaks drips maybe responsible for billions more in black mold claims.
There are a number of serious conditions that can be caused by the toxins that black mold releases. Here are some facts about black mold from Safewise.
- Black mold is a neurotoxin.
The spores released by black mold attach your brain’s neurons—incapacitating your mental ability. The reaction to black mold can be tremors, mood swings, and other neurological shifts.
- Black mold suppresses your immune system.
When you breathe in black mold spores, your immune system is weakened, so on top of being sick from the mold, you can also become more easily ill from germs.
- Black mold can kill.
If you’re exposed for long enough, black mold spores can shut down your organs, incapacitate your immune system, and damage your brain—resulting in death.
- Black mold endangers pregnant women.
Women who are pregnant can suffer birth defects, miscarriage, and infertility later.
- Black mold can harm anyone—including pets.
The young, sick, and elderly are most susceptible to black mold symptoms and damage, but all living things can be harmed by black mold.
- Black mold has a smell.
The mold smells like mildew and must, so it’s detectable even when you can’t see it.
- Mold grows in damp, humid, and warm locations.
All molds love this combination and thrive in it. That’s why your bathroom is a breeding ground for black mold and other types of mold.
- You’ll suffer from several symptoms when exposed to black mold.
Symptoms of black mold exposure include fatigue, headaches, seizure, tremors, mood swings, confusion, fever, eye irritation, sneezing, rashes, coughing, bleeding of the lungs, and sometimes death.
- Black mold isn’t toxic.
The mold itself isn’t poisonous—just the spores it emits.
- Some damage is irreversible.
Depending on how long you live amongst black mold, you could suffer once it’s been remediated. Immune system weakening and sensitivity to mold can persist throughout your lifetime.
- Mold is everywhere.
Mold spores are all around us all the time. Only some present major health hazards.
That list should concern all of us who live in Humid climates and anyone who has experienced water damage in our homes and businesses. Its especially important for the elderly and those that have young children. Below are 6 things you can do to clean and prevent black mold from happening. If you have already had a mold issue these steps can help you get rid of it!
Preventing Black Mold
Save thousands of dollars and avoid the literal and figurative headaches black mold can cause
- Use mold specific cleaning products.
You can use mold killing cleaners or any of the commonly found products listed below including a link on how to use them:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Baking soda
- Tea tree oil
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Remove infected materials.
It is crucial that you remove the damp and damaged building materials THEN clean the remaining structural components. Here is a great DIY guide although we do not recommend doing it yourself unless you have the proper equipment and PPE (Personal Protective equipment)
- Stay dry!
Keeping your home dry is key to preventing mold from growing. Dehumidifiers in basements, ceiling fans in bathrooms, and good air flow can all improve your chances of keeping mold from growing in the first place or returning.
- Get a dehumidifier.
Dehumidifiers suck moisture out of the air and preventing mold growth and increasing the overall air quality in any home or business. Consumer reports has an excellent Buyers Guide.
- Prevent Basement flooding.
You know the old saying” an ounce of prevention”….Water is key to mold growth. Don’t let your basement or home become flooded in the first place. We have lots of tips on this subject already. Here are 5 Steps you can take now
- Be proactive in containing leaks and drips.
In homes, businesses, schools, medical builds, nursing homes and multifamily housing small leaks and drips present an enormous problem. Each drip or leak may not seem like much, but the water combined with the wood, cellulose and natural materials found in the home provide the perfect environment for mold to grow. If you have areas in your property that are prone to frequent leaks and condensation you can use a variety of our products to absorb and lock those liquids in, thereby preventing water from penetration your building materials.
Bottom line! DO NOT wait. Remove wet materials, Wash, repair and prevent the return of water so mold cannot grow in the first place. If you are not confident or have doubts reach of to a professional mold re-mediator.